Ready for the Best Baby Strollers of 2023? We look at the strollers' safety, style and performance and have a host of great choices from brands like Bugaboo, UPPAbaby and Cybex! Last update February 2023.
The primary stroller is THE key purchase for any city family. This is how we get around – go to the park, get our morning coffee and navigate our life with baby in tow. For us, the infant stroller is like our car (and sometimes we don’t even have a car for our car seat and depend on Ubers and taxis).
So, if you're ready to tackle the stroller scene, we're right here with you.
It goes without saying that you’ll want to pick the right one to make life post-baby as easy and comfortable as possible. If you’re negotiating your neighborhood, strolling down the esplanade or navigating cobblestones you might need your “SUV” that has great suspension, an overnight sleep ready bassinet, loads of storage for groceries and big wheels to take on all the city’s terrain. If you’re on-the-go, on and off the subway or bus, or have to walk up flights of stairs to get home, you might need to look for something with smaller wheels that’s more compact, but still with all the key features, to make you mobile and happy. There’s nothing worse than getting the wrong ride, so take time to find something that fits your needs and budget. Be assured there’s not a one-stroller-fits-all solution (no unicorn stroller), but there is the right stroller for you!
Table of Contents
Figuring out the best stroller for you requires some self-examination. You want to look at your space, your lifestyle, your neighborhood, thoughts on family planning and of course your budget.
- Do you think you’ll mostly be navigating your neighborhood (park, Whole Foods, shopping, playdates, classes)?
- Do you live in an elevator building or walk-up?
- What does your neighborhood look like? What sort of terrain is there? (Cobblestone?)
- Do you plan on running with your stroller?
- Look around you at other parents in the neighborhood – are there certain brands, or types of strollers you see?
- What about storage – are you “just what I need”, or “everything in case!” kind of person?
- This is pretty obvious but: is it for a first baby? For twins? Or does it need to carry mixed age kids either in seats or with a wheeled board attachment?
Now that you've answered the questions, you want to prioritize. As stated, there is no unicorn stroller. Everyone wants it to be feather light, but really strong, with great wheels that can handle any terrain, but also fold up into the size of a billfold. Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait for technology on that one! Best to follow the 80-20 rule and find a stroller that is perfect for 80 percent of your lifestyle. Think about your major priorities and then work from there!
Here are things to prioritize:
- Stroller weight (most important if you plan on carrying your stroller, like if you have a walk up)
- Stroller size, adjustable handlebar (important for your comfort and adjustability for your partner, caregiver or spouse)
- Car seat adaptability (most important if you are seeking a travel system that’s seamless)
- Customization & style (important if you want a more unique style)
- Suspension (important for baby’s comfort if you’re going to stroll a lot and the terrain is varied)
- Overnight sleep ready bassinet (important if you want to use the bassinet beside your bed as a piece of furniture when you’re not strolling)
- Accessories (important if you want additional functionality)
- Price and Value (always important!)
- Another key consideration: customer service, as it’s important that whenever you have a key product, you know you can get it serviced, or can apply its warrantee. You want a company that has your back and makes it easy, as you’re pretty dependent on your stroller.
- Resale Value: Get the best for your needs now, then resell it with Babesta x Rebelstork program when your needs change!
Ready to dig into your choices? Babesta has already pre-selected the best of the bunch when it comes to primary strollers, chosen for their quality, safety, suspension, fold, fabrics, features and customer service. For city families, a stroller is not something you want to be unique with - if a stroller is so unique, it probably will not have a lot of accessible accessories or service. Instead, be unique in your wardrobe or on the walls of your nursery. The stroller is something that you rely so heavily upon that it's best that it's something that city parents agree is best of breed.
Bugaboo Fox 5
The Bugaboo Fox is Bugaboo’s brand new ‘best of’ stroller that took in all of the feedback from two decades in the business. It has big wheels and great suspension, an adjustable handlebar, large underseat basket and offers options to customize your favorite color palate. We love Bugaboo for its superior quality and stylish design. The strollers are so well made that they tend to be passed down from child to child – we see Bugaboos that are nearly 10 years old still on the street, still looking great. One of the keys is that every piece when out of warrantee is individually purchasable so you can give your stroller a little update when it's strolled around the block a few too many times. It also gives the flexibility to update the stroller for any gender or taste. For a primary stroller, this one is pretty light, and it folds compactly making it an easy ride.
- Top quality construction and fabrics
- Premium stroller $1299
- Lightweight for a primary stroller at 22.9lbs
- Comes with infant car seat adapter that works with Bugaboo Turtle One by Nuna, Bugaboo Turtle Air by Nuna, Cybex Aton 2, Cybex Aton M, Cybex Cloud Q, Clek Liing
- Aerated 3D comfort mattress
- Large (but light) wheels to navigate cobblestone, curbs & other uneven terrain
- Customization options and lots of accessories
- Compact storage of bassinet/seat, as it leverages same seat frame and is only fabric
- Self standing and one piece fold or two piece compact fold
- Love the new color "Astro Purple!"
This is your fashionista stroller. The sleek design recalls 20th century modern furniture (Ray & Charles Eames). There are some of the most stunning special editions of this stroller (and its little sis, the Mios), as well as beautiful combos of matte black/chrome or rose gold frame and high-quality fabrics. It is clear that every detail of the Priam stroller is thought out and optimized, and every button and buckle is beautiful and considered. The storage isn’t as big as some strollers but it’s more discreet due to the magnetic underseat basket that can expand. Our view: Tres Chic!
- Great for fashion forward mamas and for discerning design focused dads
- Surprisingly good for walkups (for a primary) due to its unique fold, despite being 28.1lbs
- Add the bassinet for your littlest passengers
- Attention to detail throughout the design
- Great large sized and cushy seat
- Easy to use in snow and sand!
This is Cybex's lighter stroller that features smaller wheels and a slightly simpler design and is more affordable than the bigger primary, the Priam. This great lightweight urban stroller features a breathable seat cover in mesh and a comfort inlay that can be inserted during colder months. Folding is a snap and the stroller self-stands making it nice and convenient. Like the Priam, there are lots of beautiful special editions, as well as a range of solid fabric choices.
- High level of detail including buckle and handlebar giving a premium finish
- Smaller wheels with 4 wheel suspension
- Lighter (21.6lbs) and narrower frame for ease on city streets
- One hand, easy fold
Both elegant and practical, the Vista has a huge underseat basket that’s perfect for food shopping trips. The UPPAbaby features an adjustable handlebar, bassinet (and an accessory stand that you can set up by your bed or in the baby’s room), easy fold, large wheels and good suspension. It’s a bit heavier and wide but has great wheels and suspension. UPPAbaby’s customer service is awesome and a real selling point for the stroller, as they make a great product and really take care of you.
- Premium stroller $999
- Not as easy for walkups, as it’s heavier (frame + seat 27 lbs; frame + bassinet 28.8lbs)
- Bigger feeling overall
- Extra-large underseat basket for groceries and more
- One-step standing fold
- Super comfy bassinet (use from birth to 20lbs or until baby can push up on hands and knees, whichever comes first) and toddler seat suitable for 3 months to 50lbs included
- Bassinet overnight sleep ready when used with the UPPAbaby bassinet stand
- Can accommodate 2 children (or 3 with one on the wheeled board) so great for family planning
- Excellent quality & great resale value
- Superior customer service
UppaBaby Cruz V2
This is UppaBaby’s more affordable single stroller. This one cannot transform into a double like its big brother the UppaBaby Vista. It has smaller wheels, is narrower and lighter, but has less robust suspension and a little less storage space (but still very ample). This stroller does not come with a bassinet, but you can purchase one separately if you’re using it from newborn.
- Lighter (21.5 lbs), narrower than UPPAbaby Vista
- More affordable than Vista at $699+
- Stylish UPPABaby design
- Note: no bassinet is included – this must be purchased separately
- All Wheel Suspension - not quite as robust as Vista (though still very good!)
- Single stroller only (but can use a wheeled board!)
Ridge Jogging Stroller by UPPABaby
For those of you who are trying to decide if they buy a separate stroller for jogging, UPPAbaby just announced a new choice that can hit the mark for everything.
Called the Ridge, this stroller has 3 wheels (as per traditional joggers) and features a hand brake as well as a foot brake. The front wheel can swivel or can lock in place (increasing stability for running, you push down lifting the front wheel to turn).
There is a covered underseat basket (brilliant!), a built in water bottle holder and more. This was one well-thought out ride! Although a jogger is normally recommended for 9 months up (head stability is an essential!) you can use this stroller from birth with the bassinet (sold separately) or car seat adapters.
I definitely can see people who were on the fence in getting a jogger chose this for their everyday plus jogging stroller!
In the city, it's really a stretch to house a primary, jogger AND lightweight in your apartment. But I could definitely get behind the Ridge plus a lightweight stroller for subways, taxis & travel.
- Extendable canopy with mesh window and zipper pocket
- Disc hand brake system
- Adjustable handlebar with wrist strap
- Included water bottle holder
- Five-point harness with lumbar support
- Deep, comfortable seat with webbing recline
- Patented two-stage suspension system
- Reflective accents
- Large basket with included cover
- Swivel-locking front wheel and adjustable tracker
- 12″ & 16″ never flat tires
- One-handed fold, stands when folded
- From birth compatible with Bassinet, MESA and other infant car seats with the addition of adapters
Now that you are armed with lots of facts and comparison, it's time to try them out and take them to the street! Come by Babesta if you're a city dweller and face them off yourself to see what ride is right for you! Why make this purchase at Babesta, or add it to your Babesta Registry?
- We spend time with you explaining and weighing your options and give you honest advice
- You can test drive your favorites on the streets of Tribeca!
- When you purchase, we'll hold it til you need it, saving space in your home!
- We can put it together and train you on it in-store for free
- We deliver under Canal Street for free
If you're not in the city, call or email to set up a virtual consultation! We're happy to walk you through it all! Ready to register? We hold it til you need it, offer free assembly, price matching and more!
Need some safe stroller tips? KidsHealth reminds to not hang a purse on the handlebar (tipping hazard!) and always buckle up.