We love when NYC does a solid for our city parents, and the Open Strollers Pilot Program is a great example. 1000+ buses on 57 routes (15% of the fleet) will be retrofitted with open stroller space near the rear door or a space created by flipping up two seats so parents won't have to fold their stroller before getting on the bus. According to the MTA press release, since the beginning of the pilot, over 4,000 stroller journeys have been tallied with no safety issues. This is good news for parents on the go!
Buses that are part of the pilot will be labeled with a stroller decal on the outside of the bus. Inside, a similar decal will indicate where the open stroller space is.
Representative Jerrold Nadler lauded the program for making transportation more family-friendly, acknowledging the plain truth: "commuting with young children can be difficult!"
Buses that will feature Open Stroller Space are:
• Brooklyn: B1, B3, B6/6 LTD, B36, B64, B74
• The Bronx: Bx6, Bx6 SBS, Bx8, Bx11, Bx17, Bx19, Bx21, Bx23, Bx27, Bx31, Bx32, Bx33, Bx35, Bx36/36LTD, Bx46
• Manhattan: M15, M31, M101, M102, M103, M125
• Queens: Q12, Q13, Q15, Q15A, Q16, Q20A, Q20B, Q26, Q28, Q31, Q32, Q44 SBS, Q48, Q50LTD, Q76
• Staten Island: S40, S42, S46, S48, S51, S52, S53, S66, S76, S81 LTD, S86 LTD, S90 LTD, S93 LTD, S96 LTD, S98 LTD
So what are you waiting for? Get out and explore the city with your stroller this spring!
All images courtesy of the MTA (Marc A. Hermann / MTA)